Thursday, July 9, 2015

Graffiti



I mentioned in a previous post I traded my inky elephant piece for a piece by the amazing photographer Bill Mohr.  He does a wonderful photography series combining butterflies and graffiti. Check it out.

I recently finished an e-course with Flora Bowley, a bold and intuitive painter. She got me thinking about graffiti when she mentioned that one of her inspirations for her art is graffiti. She also reminded me about Banksy- the British graffiti artist. I've always liked this one by Banksy:



I live in a neighborhood with no shortage of graffiti. Sometimes I find it inspiring but most often it's gang related and annoying and disrespectful. But then this appeared nearby:




This graffiti brings you right into a story. And then the wider view of this picture has "wolf!" written underneath it. Is it a response? 




I enjoy the work on tall buildings of the rainbow warrior graffiti artist in Albuquerque.  I didn't take this photo. It came from this website. 



This is a very intriguing little piece of graffiti in an alleyway I often drive through. It's actually a painting on plywood. It sums up my sentiments but I wonder who put it there? When I showed it to my mom she wondered if CYRD is a man or woman. I am thinking man.


Another graffiti/mural that I enjoy is this one. It kind of reminds me of my bird in the header of my blog above. I like the way they painted on the cinderblock wall and then just painted on the fence when they ran out of room... or maybe it was planned that way. All this graffiti tells a story and makes me wonder a bit. I'm happy I live in a place with plenty of street art.







No comments:

Post a Comment